Friday, December 3, 2010

A lot to be Thankful for...

We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We sure did. It was a different Thanksgiving than those we've enjoyed in the past, but it was also wonderful and possibly the beginning of a new tradition for us.
And, for that, we are Truly Grateful.

We would have loved to have been with family, but unfortunately due to bad weather conditions, etc., it didn't happen this year. But, we were able to have some great friends come and have dinner with us... and make it feel like it really was Thanksgiving... not just another family dinner. The kiddos were great, and had a lot of fun - especially entertaining our guests :)

Some fun from our afternoon/evening...
Maggie was left alone for about 15 seconds... and I walked into the living room to discover, Little Miss, decided to take every tissue out of the kleenex box! :) But, it was a holiday, and she was having fun... and just the look on her face, made me laugh... so, what was I to do? Other than, continue laughing... and document the incident.

CRAZY girl playing with tissues... who thought this could be so fun???

She is now realizing that I think it's funny, therefore, the showing off really kicks in to full gear!

So sad and dramatic when Mommy tells her that we shouldn't pull every tissue out... (however, it did give me a good idea of a homemade Christmas gift for her... To fill either an empty kleenex box or wipes holder with pieces of fabric for her to pull out and push back in...) So, was this really Maggie being wild, or telling me that this is what she had a lot of fun doing, and Mama should get on that PROJECT... STAT!

It was a bit tough to squeeze us all in at the table... but, we did it! Besides Maggie sitting in her highchair, next to the table. Even Jack had his own place setting. He is the back left hand setting... ie. no china, table highchair, yet matching plastic monkey dishset... :)
ps. It was really fun setting the table, and decorating the house... I rarely use our China, as I am so afraid something will get broken. I have now decided, why do I have it... if I'm never going to use it. With that said, it won't be used on a daily basis, but it will be used for special occassions. It is so beautiful, and incredibly special to me, as it was my Grandmother's and she generously and thoughtfully gifted it to Brian and Me for our wedding. I can not think of any other "posession" I own that means more to me than our China, besides of course my wedding and engagement rings.

Can you tell I adored the table and table settings? It was all so pretty, and made it a true Thanksgiving... but in our own new way! And, the food... WONDERFUL! And, again, so fun to have food that we may not have had somewhere else...

Fun little Food Descriptions...
as we all know, I just did this because I enjoy hosting/decorating and anything in regards to a special occassion/party... obviously all of the food was very self explanatory... I hope... (well, if not, our guests had these cute cards to make sure they really were eating Sweet Potatoes, and not pureed carrots... so really, the cards are now going to be considered a necessity). 

Fun little place settings...

OH, the hours I spent searching for the perfect napkin rings... I don't believe they existed for me for Thanksgiving this year (as my search became a bit out of control... we'll leave it at that)... so rather than purchasing some I wasn't IN LOVE with (as obviously, one must be absolutely IN LOVE with a napkin ring to purchase), I decided a ribbon and leaf would have to do for this year... I will now be on the hunt for napkin rings for all occassions :)
However, I did like the way these turned out... not to mention they were free... as I had everything already!

Hmmm... Think she's ready to eat? I think so. This picture would be so perfect if she were holding a fork in each hand, as well. But, she definitely enjoyed all of the yummy Thanksgiving food!
And, she is a "cutie pie" (ie. her shirt... :) )

I'm not big on cranberries, unless it is with Turkey AND it is Thanksgiving. OR, I am having a Big Town Hero Sandwich that has cream cheese, turkey and cranberry on it... other than that, I usually pass... but, if it is a mantra to keep me calm (perhaps, when feeling uncalm... such as not being ready for guests to arrive, and they do... even fashionably late)... please pass the cranberries, many thanks.

OH, Jackson... when are you going to stop hating to have your picture taken? I hope soon... because you are so handsome ... but, anytime I even attempt to get your picture, you do something silly or make a strange face... such as this. :p
However, he did have the BEST time! Our friends brought their dog, Boulder with them... and Jack was in LOVE, beyond LOVE with Boulder (the LOVE is actually a complete understatement... infatuation may be better wording). Everything was about Boulder. Granted Boulder is a sweet and cute puppy (he's going to be a bigger dog... as he was a bit above Jack's waist - sorry, can't remember the name of the breed...), but he (Boulder) did need to take some timeouts in his crate to relax, especially while we ate, etc. You would have thought Boulder was in jail forever, and Jack was never going to see him again... devastating, to Jack that is.

Now he asks almost daily, when he can see Boulder, where is Boulder, does Boulder like "...blank...", if he (again, Jack) goes poo poo on the potty will Boulder be able to come over...
Yes, it is a bit out of control. However, if Jack goes poo on the potty, I will be the first to drive over and pick Boulder up and bring him to our house for a playdate with Jack! I'm hoping this happens soon... as I prefer not to drive in bad weather....

Our first family of 4 Thanksgiving was a SUCCESS! We pulled off a wonderful meal, fabulous decor, and most importantly the opportunity to give thanks for all that we have been blessed with. Also, our friends. They were the best. So much fun! They were wonderful company to have for Thanksgiving! It made me fully realize, that even if you feel a situation is out of your control (such as not being able to be with family on a holiday), it still deserves to be celebrated... and in a fun, grand and thankful manner. For that lesson alone, I am so THANKFUL for our wonderful Thanksgiving and my AMAZING little family of 4. I could not be a day without each of you, and you each made Thanksgiving our own.

With that said, I am already scouting out ideas for next year... I adore table settings and holiday decor... so I think it's best for me to start thinking of ideas now for next year... what if it starts snowing in September? YOU NEVER KNOW... and I most definitely want to be prepared to throw a GREAT Thanksgiving Feast... (to be cont'd. in approximately 11 months...)
ADORE, LOVE, ADORE these settings (above and below)... however, I am GOING to find the perfect napkin rings...
And, now that Thanksgiving 2010 has passed, it is my MOST favorite time of the year....
CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
I love EVERYTHING about Christmas. Really. I realize that is a bold statement, but, honestly, I cannot think of anything I dislike about Christmas. I love it all!
We (cross your fingers... especially in front of the weather man) will be traveling to Lacey to spend Christmas with Family! To say I am excited is an understatement. I have most definitely decked the halls at our house, but didn't "go all out", since we won't be here on Christmas. BUT... we are home for a majority of the season, and that deserves festive decorations!

This (below) is so very true...
especially when you have gifts to wrap, gifts to finish and begin making, neighbors to "elf", Christmas outfits to find AND matching shoes (oy vey... long story... but this shoe search for myself for Brian's Firm Holiday party is becoming e.x.h.a.u.s.t.i.n.g.!!!), parties to attend, baking to do... and of course, kiddos to snuggle before they go down for nap!

And, this is now how I truly feel about my LOVE for hosting/throwing parties/celebrations. To some, all of the decorating, special food, favors, games, etc. may be wasted time. But if you truly enjoy doing something ... is it wasted? I don't think so. And, it can be anything you enjoy, as long as you don't allow it to become stressful or unhealthy.
I will be the first to admit, I have let that happen many times in the past... but, have really worked on setting limits for myself, as in... how can I do what I LOVE and ENJOY without taking on so much that it becomes stressful... that is a lesson I am learning... slowly... but still learning...
Again, we hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving. Each of us has more than we can ever list to be THANKFUL for... and maybe rather than only thinking of these things one time per year, we could think of even one thing we are thankful for each day.

I am incredibly THANKFUL for my family, more than I have ever been before. And, not just my family of 4, but, My side of the family, Brian's side of the family and our incredible family of friends. Without all of you, we would not be where we are today... for that... Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!