Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Use Words that Heal, Not Wound..." - President Obama

I (Brian) felt like I should make my second post ever to this blog after listening to and reading President Obama's Condolence Speech at the Memorial to those who lost their lives and were injured in last weekends shooting in Arizona.  Though this blog isn't about politics, I feel the President's message regarding how we should treat oneanother is important and needs to be shared.  I cannot stand it when people preach hatred against others simply because they disagree with what a person is doing or believes.  It makes for a toxic world of negativity.  I am hopeful that people will stop and think about how their words will impact others before speaking.  Like President Obama said today... WE CAN DO BETTER!!! I know I am going to try to be a better person and treat others like I would like to be treated. 

I leave with you my favorite piece of his speech:

"At a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized--at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do--it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds" 
-President Obama, January 12, 2011

I have also included the link to his entire speech, which I encourage all to watch.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/part-barack-obama-consoles-nation-tucson-arizona-shooting-memorial-gabrielle-giffords-12604000&tab=9482931&section=1206833

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!